Monday, July 6, 2009

Sweeping Up Glass


by Carolyn Wall

I told you I'd have a good review for you soon! I definitely recommend this book. Totally and completely. The author captures your interest from the very first page. The only reason I even put this one down was because I had to earn my paycheck!!! I haven't read a book this good in a long time, and it feels great. I was starting to worry...

The voice of the narrator is fresh and consistent, and the images she spins for the reader are vivid. The author keeps within the character for the entire book, not digressing at all into what we all are used to-- the "author's voice". I completely believed in Olivia Harker and was on her side all the way. It does get a bit confusing in some places, but that helped to build the character of Olivia and make her more real.

The story works so well. Nothing in this novel was unnecessary. Every element eventually leads to the ending, and finally every piece of the puzzle falls into place. It all makes sense! I love books like this, that keep you guessing until the author finally has to tell you (or you've figured it out) and brings everything together. And the story itself-- early 1930's southeast America, the segregation and disrespect of the "coloreds"-- was intriguing and exciting.

Pick up this book during your next trip to the bookstore. You won't be disappointed.




No comments:

Post a Comment