Friday, August 14, 2009

One Good Turn


by Kate Atkinson

Sometimes, one event causes a ripple effect. This one tiny little occurrence causes people to come together who in other circumstances may never have met before. It also causes a chain of events that would otherwise never have happened. This story revolves around this ripple effect; a simple fender-bender at the beginning topples the very first domino.

I loved the characters in this book. Each one was definitely unique and real at the same time. I could relate to bits and pieces of Gloria, Louise, Jackson...even Martin. I loved getting into their heads and understanding their thoughts and emotions, as well as seeing the same event from their different perspectives. I also enjoyed the pictures of the Edinburgh scenery that the author paints for her readers. I have been there before, and it was great to be able to place the characters on the street that I have walked or the castle that I have visited.

The one downfall to this book was that the author was long-winded at times. In some parts she just talked too much. It did get a bit tedious, and we didn't really need that much information. The book could have been shorter and still brought the same idea across to her readers.

All in all, it was a great mystery and the twist at the end is definitely intriguing. You find out the true event that really started it all, and then it all comes together like a finished puzzle. Toward the end, I became a bit concerned because I was about 10 pages away and the author was teasing me with the loose ends still flapping about, but once I turned the last page I breathed a sigh of relief and was happy.




No comments:

Post a Comment