Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Shortest Distance Between Two Women


by Kris Radish

What?! This book is over? The chapter ends and the reader continues on with nothing...Well, except for Kick the Can rules and Notes from previous Gilford reunions...But I felt unsatisfied. I mean, yes, Emma is back in good graces with her sisters and her mother and she loves everyone and everyone loves her, but what about Samuel?! She started out the book pining for Samuel, went through the entire book receiving more voicemails from Samuel, was disappointed when he didn't show up for an event that she didn't even know he was going to show up for, and then we get to the end of the story and he still doesn't appear. Really? Talk about a loose end! Tie that sucker up!

And where was Joy's intervention? That would have been a good scene...

Love, love, love. The Beatles sum up this book quite well. Love, love, love. All you need is love. Though so much love can be a bit over-emotional at times. And possibly unrealistic. I don't think I've ever called either of my sisters "Sister" or "Love" or "Sweetie". They'd laugh at me. This book was over-flowing with sap and mush. I will admit that it did bring me to tears a couple of times, and I did love the story itself, the concept of women coming together through craziness and some adversity, but wow. Wading through the swamp of sappy mush was a bit tiring at times.

The other thing about the author's style that bothered me was the jumping back and forth from present to past. She'd start out a chapter in the present tense, and then revert back to a scene that happened that morning or the night before or last week or even 10 years ago. It became confusing. Am I reading about today? About yesterday? When exactly did this happen?

Ok so I realize this sounds like I didn't like the book. Not true. It kept me entertained with every turn of the page and I was invested in the life of Emma and cheered along with everyone at Stephie's pageant and would have loved to have shared a glass of wine with the women in the gazebo. It was a great journey through female emotions and finding happiness. Actually, choosing happiness. This is a book that I do recommend, but just understand that it sometimes gets nauseatingly sentimental and don't expect to meet Samuel.




No comments:

Post a Comment