Friday, October 9, 2009

Dedication


by Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus

This book had me at the first sentence. It was clever, witty, moving, riveting, all of those adjectives and more. I procrastinated on other projects just so that I could read this book. I love it when that happens! Getting lost in a good book is one of my favorite things in the world.

Usually switching back and forth between past and present is confusing and irritating, but not the case here. Even without the titles of the chapters, the reader could tell which time period they were in by the descriptions of the clothes and the fads and the music. I can't believe what people wore in the 80's! Glad I was a bit young for that crazy fashion...And the end of each chapter left you wanting more, but kept you in suspense as you learned more about the family and friends from the past or the dramatic events of the present.

The end made me a bit nervous. Katie did something I did not expect her to do, especially after she had been so strong and stubborn throughout the whole book. It makes sense when you think about the connection between her and Jake, but still, I didn't want her to do it, and I was afraid it was going to ruin my entire reading experience of this book. Thankfully my reservations were resolved by the last page turn.

The entire book just worked. The flow of the dialogue, the mix of characters, everything leading up to the end of the story, it all added up to a wonderful read. I enjoyed "The Nanny Diaries", written by the same authors, and I was ecstatic that this one was just as good if not better.




No comments:

Post a Comment