Friday, December 11, 2009

The Memory Keeper's Daughter


by Kim Edwards

*SPOILER ALERT* I try not to go into too much detail in my reviews but in this one it's necessary

I have been meaning to read this book for the longest time. Ever since it even appeared on the bookshelves of Barnes & Noble. Finally, when I was home for Thanksgiving, I noticed it in my parents' bookcase. I was so relieved to see it because I wasn't enjoying the book I had brought to read over the holidays. So I grabbed it and discarded the other book like it was a black banana peel.

In the beginning, this book had me addicted. I was enticed by the ebb and flow of the author's words describing the story of twins separated at birth and the drama that ensued. The images were described perfectly, and I felt almost as though I was a part of what was happening. I could see, in my mind, each scene and feel the character's emotions. The writing was impressive.

But as I got closer and closer to the end, my enthusiasm faded. It seemed to me like the author didn't know what to do with her climax, the apex of her story. Once David died, that was it for me. Boy, did he get the easy way out! He lives with all of these lies and grief and sorrow, and then he just dies. Then, after 25 years of not saying a word, all of a sudden Caroline feels the need to reveal all? It just didn't jive with me. So finally the secret is out in the open and the one man who should receive any sort of retribution is out of the picture. Boring.

With such anticipation preceding the cracking open of this novel, I was a bit disappointed. The story was built up so much, only to fail at the end and not live up to the expectations. I was so surprised that David died that I had to read the sentence over again, and even flip back to David's last section to see if I had missed a clue. I am a fan of twists, and going directions the reader doesn't expect, but this book twisted the wrong way.

Kim Edwards is a very talented writer. She's excellent at penning words and stringing them together to make beautiful images. But the story itself needs some work; especially a much more exciting end.




No comments:

Post a Comment