Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation


by Lauren Willig

"The Scarlet Pimpernel" is my all-time favorite book. I have read it more times than I can count and it never fails to excite, despite the fact that I know exactly what's going to happen. So, when my sister read "The Secret History of the Pink Carnation", she told me I absolutely had to read this book and as soon as it was available in the library, I checked it out.

And loved it. The only way I can describe it is that it's a fun read. Pure entertainment. The hilarious antics of Amy kept me giggling in my office building's cafeteria, and the brave exploits of the Purple Gentian had me gasping on my couch at home. I enjoyed the references to the Scarlet Pimpernel as though he had been a true historical figure, and was sad when I learned the fate of one of his loyal men. The story was adventurous, amorous, and amusing, all things that make a great novel.

It's nowhere near the classic that "The Scarlet Pimpernel" is, though. Don't read it expecting any illuminating themes or unique style. It leans a bit toward the romance novel genre and in that sense will never be included in the ranks of Jane Austen or the Brontes. It's light, fluffy reading and requires absolutely no deep thinking whatsoever.

Which is great! And just what one needs during the stress of the holiday season. This is no time to sit and ponder with the great American novel. Wait, let me rephrase that....THERE IS no time to sit and ponder! Too busy thinking about decorations and gifts and baking, etc...the perfect time for a carefree novel about adventures.

I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment