Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Girls in Trucks


by Katie Crouch

My co-worker, who is my writing and book-reading buddy, spent an entire week complaining about this book and how much she despises it. Then, when she finished, she handed it to me and said, "Here, you read it." I laughed at her, but she continued, "I need someone to join in my misery, and to find out if it's just me." I relented, and spent the weekend in misery.

This book is just terrible. I honestly can't fathom how this book got past the first editor's desk. The plot is the furthest thing from original; Southern, naive girl moves to New York City and becomes entangled in sex and drugs. The main character, Sarah, is mostly pathetic. She does nothing to better herself or her ways, and continues to whine for 200 pages about how she's addicted to bad men. The people that come in and out of her life are cardboard characters-- very flat and boring.

The tense changes. Sometimes it's present tense. Sometimes it's past tense. Wasn't that one of the first thing a writer learns in Writing 101? Be consistent! Choose one or the other and stick with it. Not only that, but the point of view changes, too. First-person, third-person; one chapter is even in second person. Two chapters are devoted to characters that have nothing to do with Sarah's own personal story (the only relativity is one character is a friend and one is her mother) and do nothing to move things along. It's so confusing, and even now, after thinking about it, I still can't figure out why an author would do that to her readers.

The end wasn't even worth it. It doesn't all tie together, and it didn't even seem like Sarah learned her lessons throughout the entire book. Things happened to characters that didn't really make sense. I don't want to go into too much detail (I hate including spoilers, though sometimes it is necessary) but I rolled my eyes when a couple of "revelations" came about.

Go ahead. Read it. Join in our misery. But don't say we didn't warn you.




1 comment:

  1. I also hated this book. Not only for the writing and style issues but also for the awful ending.

    ReplyDelete