Monday, January 18, 2010

A Little Bit Wicked: Life, Love, and Faith in Stages


by Kristin Chenoweth, Joni Rodgers

Biographies and auto-biographies are usually boring. Most of the time, I pass them by, not wanting to slog through paragraphs of parents and siblings and years leading up to celebrity status. Even with celebrities that I'm a fan of, I usually don't want to read about every tiny detail of their childhood or transgression that they have learned from. So, I guess I could say that I've been prejudiced against biographies ever since I learned to read. (Well, maybe not that long, but long enough...)

And then, once again, in a moment of pure genius, my parents picked out yet another winner for me for Christmas. I have always been a fan of Kristin Chenoweth, and I have my own theatre bug that travels through my blood, so they figured this bio would be a great gift idea. And, right they were! Kristin lassoed me right in with her very first words and wouldn't set me free until I turned the last page.

This is a fabulously entertaining book. The voice is in Kristin's own southern drawl, and her personality just shines through with each paragraph. Reading about her trials and tribulations made me love her even more. She's definitely not a writer, she's an actress, so there were times when she would go off on tangents and it would be a bit confusing. But as a whole, it's a great book.

She speaks about her faith through the entire book because it has always been a part of her life and she has never felt the need to hide it while on Broadway or in Hollywood. She is proud of how God has helped her to get to where she is today, and she mentions it more than once. Some reviewers have mentioned they think she has a "holier-than-thou" attitude, and I completely disagree. Her faith is part of who she is, and when writing an auto-biography, it needs to be included. She can't leave out a piece of herself. She wasn't pushy or arrogant about it, only matter-of-fact and straight-forward. And I admire her even more for not being afraid to show it.

Pick up this book and give it a whirl, especially if you are a fan of Kristin. She brings you along on her journey from high school performances to singing at the Oscars and "defying gravity". You'll laugh, you'll cry, it'll be just like a Hollywood movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment