Monday, January 4, 2010

The Private Lives of Pippa Lee: A Novel


by Rebecca Miller

It's a new year and a new review! Unfortunately, I started out 2010 reading this awful book. It's another one that I won through Goodreads.com, and it actually got to me so late that I had to email the company and remind them that they were supposed to send me my free book. I should have let them keep it!

I understand that when the book was in third person, Pippa was distant from herself and didn't really know who she was in this new lifestyle of hers. When the book was in first person, she was more connected and inside herself and living life for herself. That may be a bit confusing. Let me try that again...First person = she was more present in her life, Third person = she was disconnected and seemed to be watching her life happen before her. But that was the only insightful view I received from the entire book.

In reading other reviews of this novel, I gleaned that Rebecca Miller is Arthur Miller's daughter. She did not receive any of her father's talent. The writing style is very amateur and passive, and the flow of the words was choppy. It was a chore to pick up this novel and spend my free time with it on the couch. I'm glad it's over.

Boring and depressing. The story moved along at a slow pace and I had no sympathy at all for Pippa. She has no ambition, no heart, no compassion, no intelligence. She was cardboard. A flat character just moving through life and letting it lead her instead of the other way around and then wondering why her life is so awful.

I am a tiny bit curious about the movie because I like Robin Wright Penn. How can she act as Pippa with so little to work with? But after reading the book, I'm not curious enough to go out and spend $10 on a ticket. Maybe I'll tack it on to the end of my Netflix list...




No comments:

Post a Comment