Tuesday, January 26, 2010

With or Without You


by Carole Matthews

I was happy to go from the depressing "Girls in Trucks" into the light-hearted chick lit "With or Without You". I definitely needed something to get my mind set more positively and this book was more than helpful. It was great to escape to Nepal for a few days and leave stress behind!

Lyssa was a fun character with an interesting group of people surrounding her. I enjoyed reading about their antics, and I enjoyed going along on her own journey of self-discovery. This is a good book to read when you yourself are stuck in a rut and need some motivation to dig your way out. But don't take this book too seriously; it's definitely a beach read or something to give you a break from heavier reading material.

Once again, though, the author went back and forth on point of view. It wasn't as confusing as "Girls in Trucks" and it didn't bother me as much because it was more consistent. It was either first person (Lyssa) or third person (her ex, Jake, or her sister, Edie). I still don't know why...Lyssa wasn't around when Jake or Edie were the focus. It did move the story along and helped with the plot, but I still feel that the author should pick one point of view for the entire novel.

It took about 100 pages for the story to really get going, too. Yes I understand that she's upset about Jake and she wants a baby and her mother's insane...can we get to Nepal, please? Once we got there, it was like a snowball rolling down a hill and I was a much happier reader. One other thing kinda bugged me but this may be more personal...she has three guys who love her? Jealous...

It's nice once in a while to take a breather and pick up a book that doesn't take much thinking. And that, dear friends, is why I love chick lit. It's good to give your brain a break once in a while and give it a mini-vacation.




No comments:

Post a Comment