Friday, February 26, 2010

Nightlight


by Harvard Lampoon

I needed a break from "Wolf Hall". That review will come when I finish reading that book, which, at the rate I'm going, may not be til the next century. So I pulled my brain out of the sixteenth century and borrowed "Nightlight" from my sister. It took me less than a day to read it, but mostly because my computer at work had a virus and I read while waiting for the IT guy to fix it.

I admit that I am a fan of "Twilight". I enjoyed all four books and I've kept up with the movies. I'm not a hyper crazy "fangirl", but I will say that I choose "Team Jacob" over "Team Edward" mostly because Jacob looks so much better without a shirt than Edward does. Yum. Anyway, I'm also aware of all the critique the series has been receiving and agree that "Twilight" is overrated and not exactly the best writing out there. I read them for pure entertainment and that's what I got out of them.

"Nightlight" was the complete opposite of "Twilight". Edwart was an unpopular nerd and Belle was a self-engrossed masochistic shallow girl. Which, thinking about it, may have been true in "Twilight", too....but I digress. "Nightlight" took all of "Twilight"'s flaws and emphasized them and twisted them into a funny, kind of stupid novel. Stupid in an entertaining kind of way. A few of the parts were funny, but for the most part it was kind of a dumb book. I kept picturing it as a movie, and placing it in the category of, say, all the "Scary Movie" films.

It left out quite a bit of the "Twilight" story, too, such as Jacob, for example. But it does allude to Jacob and his family with Jim's (Charlie's) "wheelchair friend" and there's even a paragraph about how they skipped over most of the story for comedic sake. Edwart's family was much smaller-- only parents, no siblings, and the only other "vampire" was a "real" vampire that showed up at the end and didn't do much.

Whether or not you're a fan of "Twilight", I doubt this book will change your opinion about the series. It was a quick scribbling from someone trying to make some money off the franchise. As much as I liked it, I feel like it didn't really do justice to a "parody" and that the author just wrote a quick something and sent it off to the publisher. It was a good break from "Wolf Hall", but it actually made me look forward to returning to that novel, a book I can learn from.




No comments:

Post a Comment