Monday, April 19, 2010

Insomnia

Tossing, turning, my sheets rustled underneath me, as if they were annoyed that I couldn't settle down. I understood, I was quite irritated myself. I could not get comfortable. My pillow wasn't fluffy enough, my feet kept tangling in my comforter, I was cold, I was hot, I didn't know what was going on. I closed my eyes, and different images floated before me; my job, my family, my classes. My brain would not shut off.

I rolled over yet again and glanced at my alarm clock. 3:14 a.m. Sighing, I moved onto my back and stared at my popcorn ceiling. Who needs 8 hours of sleep anyway? Wimps, that's who! Scientists are just trying to scare people with all that talk of "required amounts of sleep". Any normal human can function on 2 hours if they get enough caffeine pumping through their system.

Counting sheep has never worked for me before, but I decided to try it. I had a big presentation in my entrepreneur class at Suffolk tomorrow, and I really wanted to get to sleep. I closed my eyes, and the first image that came to mind was the sheep from those Sleepy's mattresses commercials. Ok, sure, why not. A sheep's a sheep, right? One, two, three....I opened my eyes. One-hundred and twenty-seven...Ok, that's not working.

What else can I try? Warm milk made me want to throw up just thinking about it, and I didn't have any sleep-inducing pills in my medicine cabinet. I put my head underneath my pillow and groaned.

Then, it hit me. I had an epiphany. The one thing that could make me fall asleep...the one thing that could make any sane person fall asleep...I sat up and crossed my bedroom, going to my backpack, the one I use for school. Opening it up, I pulled out a large book and brought it back to my bed. Slipping under my covers, I opened it to the first page. Principles of Economics.

Next thing I knew my alarm was going off. 9 a.m., time to get up.

No comments:

Post a Comment