Monday, April 26, 2010

True Colors


by Kristin Hannah

Huh. My two sisters and I apparently need to have more drama in our lives. This book over-dramatizes jealousy and bitterness that can happen between siblings; either my sisters and I get along very well or there's something that neither of them are telling me...

The website Goodreads recommended this book to me based on the fact that I liked "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult. So I picked it up (using a gift card, thank goodness; I'm glad I didn't spend any real money on this book...), expecting the type of story that Jodi Picoult would write. Instead, I received more of a Danielle Steele-type saga that dragged on for almost 500 pages.

It was so predictable. I made a bet with myself with each chapter what would happen next, and if I had bet money I'd have some extra spending cash right about now! Everything that the reader expects to happen, happens. There were no surprises, no twists, no shocking events. The only thing that surprised me was the fact that this wasn't as good a novel as advertised.

The characters were very flat and dry, very on-the-surface. None of them had any depth whatsoever. The book focused on the viewpoints of Vivi Ann and Winona, the youngest and oldest respectively, so we only ever knew what they were thinking. And their thoughts would drag on for pages sometimes. I would have liked to at least heard from one more character, Aurora, the middle sister. Being stuck in the middle of these two drama queens would have been interesting; not to mention her life was about as exciting, if not more, as theirs.

There's really not much more to say about this book. Despite the length and thickness of it, there was no substance. Even the descriptions of the ranch and the town were boring, no real images gracing my imagination to bring life out of the pages. This is definitely not one that I recommend.

I think the only reason Goodreads compared "True Colors" to "My Sister's Keeper" is because they both have sisters. There is no other similarity between the two books. And I'm rather disappointed. I love Jodi Picoult, and was hoping for a novel that would be similar. Oh, well. Onward and upward!




No comments:

Post a Comment