Monday, July 19, 2010

The Girl Who Played with Fire


by Stieg Larrson

This book number 2 started out a bit slowly. Lots of big paragraphs of descriptions and events, and we don't really get to the meat of the story until about page 200. I was starting to get concerned! Book #1 was so riveting I couldn't wait to pick up #2, but I slowed way down when I realized I had to slog through a lot of unnecessary stuff at the beginning.

I don't really want to say too much without giving anything away to those who haven't read it yet...but Stieg really keeps the reader in suspense for quite some time. Lisbeth disappears for a while, and I wanted to know where she was! This book had so many more twists and turns that I was gasping out loud. The ending was so abrupt it made me reach for #3, before I realized that my sister (from whom I borrowed the books) doesn't yet have #3...

The characters are as strong as ever. Love Mikael Blomkvist. Love Lisbeth. Love the new characters that were introduced: Miriam and Paolo. And I especially enjoyed that Mikael seemed less of a ladies' man in this novel. The 1st one he was in bed with every female that walked on 2 legs, and in this 2nd one he seems more controlled.

I am itching to read the third. Itching, I tell you! My boss has a copy, which he's lent to someone else. My sister stubbornly refuses to buy the hardcover (which I understand because paperback's cheaper) and paperback's not out yet. My local library has a waitlist that's the length of the Mississippi. Somehow I'll have to quell my craving...And I've heard tell of a #4 that Stieg was working on before he died. #4? Will the cravings never cease? ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment