Friday, September 17, 2010

Wicked Appetite


by Janet Evanovich

My wonderful best friend who knows me so well sent me info in email that Borders was doing a book-signing. And who is the talented author they are featuring? Why, Janet Evanovich, of course!!! LOVE her. So in between all of my chorus and theatre rehearsals, my sister Emily and I schlepped through 1 1/2 hours of traffic to go to Braintree to meet the creator of the hilarious Stephanie Plum novels.

Because I am a Border's member, I got a great deal on her new book "Wicked Appetite"-- saved $13! Go me! Since we got to Borders so late because traffic was so terrible, we ended up with numbers in the 500's, and they were only lining up people with numbers around 350. Suffice it to say, we had some time to kill. So Emily and I staked out a spot in the kid's section of the bookstore and cracked open our brand new books.

Not five minutes later we were both laughing out loud. That's what Janet E. does. She entertains. If any of you have ever read any of the Stephanie Plum books ("One For the Money", "Two For the Dough", "Three to Get Deadly", etc), you know what I mean. Janet always places her characters in hilarious situations and chaos always, without a doubt, ensues. And it's no different with this new character, Lizzy Tucker. All she wants to do is lead a normal life, and in pops an Unmentionable, Diesel, who wants her help. Add a mysterious cat and a ridiculous monkey and a wanna-be witch, and havoc is wreaked.

Despite the crazy antics they find themselves in, Janet's characters are believable and realistic. Her writing style is natural and flowing, except when it takes you by surprise, such as when you're just reading along, and all of a sudden the unexpected happens. Then, you just have to smile because yep, she got you again. It's a quick and easy read; in the 2 1/2 hours we waited to meet her, I read almost 100 pages of the book. Which I think is decent considering I'm such a people watcher and I kept getting distracted...

The book is funny and creative and has staying power; Janet E. told us that it's the first in a series. She has an excellent way of keeping characters new and refreshing and keeping her readers longing for more. I can't wait for the second book to come out!




No comments:

Post a Comment