Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Blonde Theory


by Kristin Harmel

I admit it. I'm blonde. Not blonde in the ditzy and dumb sense (I don't think...), but literally blonde. When I was a toddler, my hair was quite white and curly. Now it's straightened and a bit darker, but still blonde. So the premise to this book intrigued me. Why is it that the ditzy, airheaded blondes get all the cute guys?

The story itself was pretty entertaining. Intelligent lawyer gets rejected because of her job one too many times. Make her into a dumb blonde, and see what happens. There were some funny dates with some pretty shallow guys, and the profile she and her friend made for an online dating site was pretty amusing. It's kind of scary that there are some guys out there who only want trophy wives.

But the character of Harper could be grating sometimes. She was a bit of a whiner, which was interesting since early on in the book she states that she hates to whine. One minute she's completely against the blonde theory, the next, she's all for it, and yet it takes wild horses to drag her out of her apartment to go on one of the Blonde Theory dates. For being an intellectual patent lawyer, she could be very naive sometimes, especially with the whole Matt James situation. I saw that coming a mile away.

In fact, the whole story seemed very predictable, including the ending. I saw that coming, too, and it disappointed me. For such an entertaining story (despite Harper), I expected some sort of fun twist at the end. And I don't mean the blind date that her secretary Molly set up for Harper, but I mean the epilogue. I didn't like it. I mean, I understand that Harper's learning to be proud of herself and happy with her life, but it still would have been nice if it had ended differently.

If I were to rate it, I'd give 3 stars out of 5 (actually, that is what I gave it on Goodreads). Fairly entertaining, but not quite up there. I did like it better than "Italian for Beginners", though. This sounds like a harsh review, and maybe I'm picking it apart too much, but the beginning started out so well I expected better at the end. It had so much potential!




No comments:

Post a Comment