Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Plain Truth


by Jodi Picoult

That darn Jodi Picoult. No matter what she writes I can't put it down! She's like a really excellent can't-even-think-about-quitting addiction. I can't not read her books. My sister has almost an entire shelf dedicated to feeding my Jodi Picoult obsession. Every time I pick up one of her books I know that it'll calm my craving.

Ok, enough with the addiction metaphors, I think you understand my point. Jodi Picoult is a fabulous writer. I have always loved her books, and "The Plain Truth" has not changed that; in fact, it has enhanced my love of her work. The thing I love the most about Ms Picoult is that she takes controversial subjects and crafts a story, forcing the reader to look at it from a different point of view.

The Amish aren't known for violence, yet in "The Plain Truth", a peaceful Amish girl is charged with murdering her baby. I will admit that I did anticipate the twist in the end that the book was leading up to, but Jodi's style kept me engrossed in the story. She always has strong characters with depth and makes me, the reader, actually care about what happens to them. (If I remember correctly, I bawled while reading "My Sister's Keeper"...)

I always learn from Jodi, too. I had no idea about 1/2 of what she wrote about the Amish. People have these preconceived notions that aren't true at all. For example, did you know that during their teen years, their parents allow them to get a taste of the Englisch world? They run around in gangs and their parents are more lenient, though fervently hope that the teen decides to be baptized in the Amish faith when the time comes. She also had a character who was a ghost-hunter, who made a good point about ghosts; physics states that energy cannot be destroyed, so when someone dies, where does their energy go?

Jodi makes me think. Which is why I love her and I'll never be able to quit reading her cold turkey (I couldn't resist sticking in another metaphor...). She has never disappointed me, and I love how she seems to pick her topics straight out of the headlines of the news. (Read "19 Minutes"...talk about a different perspective...) Keep writin' 'em, Jodi, and I'll keep readin' 'em!




No comments:

Post a Comment