Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict


by Laurie Viera Rigler

Apparently there's a, well, not really a prequel, but, I guess what I'm trying to say is that this book is a continuation of another-- Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict. Being the rebel that I am, I read the second one first. Actually, my parents gave me the second one for my birthday, and I had no idea...

Wow, sorry for the babbling! I guess my point is that I just finished reading this one and it was cute. I didn't have to have read the first one first, I could keep up with the events in the book without the prequel. The first one is about a 21st century independent woman, Courtney Stone, going back in time to the Regency Era, and this one that I read concerns the woman she kicks out of her body, Jane Mansfield, who leaves 1813 and enters the leftover 2009 body.

There's the usual amazement at the "carriages without horses" and the ignorance about how to use a phone, but it's told in Jane Austen language, so the reader really feels as though she's inside Jane Mansfield's head (well, actually Courtney Stone's head, since Jane is inhabiting Courtney's body...wow that's confusing...). The characters that surround Jane are amusing; the punkish type Paula with pink and blue striped hair and Frank, the two-timing flirt who claims to want "Courtney" back. I liked Deepa, too, but sometimes I felt their relationship went beyond friendship and I almost felt as though Jane would have to deal with a lesbian crush as well...which would have definitely put a twist on the story!

While this book will never be in the same caliber as actual Jane Austen novels, it was entertaining enough to keep me on the couch reading. I enjoyed the storyline and though it sounds like it could be confusing, it's not. The style is flowing and concise and really shows Jane's confusion and awe in this fast-paced technical world. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Hollywood makes a movie out of either or both of these books. Hollywood, if you're listening, call me, I'll write the screenplay. ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment