Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Nemesis


by Jo Nesbo

I loved The Girl w/ the Dragon Tattoo, the Girl Who Played with Fire, and have just started reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, all by Swedish author Stieg Larsson. My boss, who travels a lot and happens to be Greek (which may be completely irrelevant to this post, but whatevs), also loves these books and knows that I love them. So, he handed me this book, "Nemesis", and told me I'm going to just love it.

Huh. Can I tell my boss he's wrong without risking my job? ;)

I didn't love it. Nesbo has a different writing style than Larsson; it's more choppy and harsh. Maybe the translation from Norwegian to English messed up the flow of the narrative, but it was also hard to keep all of the events straight. Not only did I have to keep up with the main event of the bank robbery, but so many other little stories were happening at the same time that I got confused. I'm sure Mr. Nesbo was trying to be suspenseful, but he only succeeded in adding wrinkles to my forehead.

And I wasn't a fan of Harry Hole. Some reviewers saw him as a "bad-ass cop", but I see him more as a cop stumbling his way through the case not really knowing what he was doing or where he was going. One section he was working on the robberies. The next section he was investigating his lover's suicide. He didn't really seem to have a focus. I understand he was an alcoholic, though he didn't really do anything about that either, since he still drank despite this issue.

I guess it just wasn't my type of book. I normally do love mysteries and thrillers but this one just didn't catch my interest the way that others do.




No comments:

Post a Comment