Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Room


by Emma Donoghue

The reading of this book was my first experience with an E-reader. My friend Ezzy let me borrow her Nook, encased in a soft leather cover. I'll be honest; I was skeptical. I'm old-fashioned when it comes to books. But I must say the Nook impressed me. Maybe it was the nice cover, but it actually kind of felt like a book. It can never take the place of the real thing, but it came pretty close...

Anyway, enough about the Nook and on to my review of Room. The voice of the 5-year-old Jack was endearing and heartrending. It must have been quite a challenge to think not only like a child, but like a child who has only known one place and 2 people his whole life. It felt as though I myself was a child again, and playing imaginative games and enjoying Dora the Explorer, and being blissfully unaware of what was really going on.

Another thing I loved about this book was how it made my heart race when Jack was in danger, and how it raised goosebumps on my arms during the more suspenseful parts. I was nervous for him when he first began to experience Outside and new people. I was so into this book that it was a physical effort to put it down and go to sleep at night.

It broke my heart that he didn't understand how free he was and that he was upsetting his Mom by wanting to go back to that horrible place. But it makes since, because it was all he'd ever known and he was comfortable there. The ending was great and I especially loved the image that the reader was left with, "the crater". An excellent finish to a wonderful and moving novel.

The story was short and sweet, which I think helped with my Nook experience. I'm not sure I could have continued with a long book on the E-reader. But who knows...I was one of the last people to get a cell phone (and it's still not an iPhone), so give me another couple of years...




2 comments:

  1. You gave me the goosebumps. ROOM was a neighborhood book club pick and the only one of the half-dozen we've read that "everybody" liked. I worried at the beginning if I'd be able to connect with little Jack's voice, but had no problem after the first two clicks. Donoghue's got another book, the one we saw in Coolidge Corner about a prostitute (Slammerkin) that I now wish I'd grabbed. Here's the link at B & N http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Slammerkin/Emma-Donoghue/e/9780547443294/?itm=4&USRI=emma+donoghue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a Nook, yet, but I just started delving into galleys so it might become a necessity.

    Room sounds like The Giver. I loved it as a kid, but didn't understand it until I read it as an adult. I'm definitely going to have to check out Room.

    I'm excited that you do book reviews, too! This is why I love Twitter and the internet.

    ReplyDelete