Monday, May 16, 2011

Theatre...but with a twist


I'm going to take a step away from books and writing for at least one post (possibly more in the future) and talk about my theatre aspirations. Now, most of you may not know this, but I was a theatre major when I went to college (with a minor in writing, so I do sort of know what I'm doing...). I fell in love with theatre when I was a fairy in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" while attending high school. The cast party was at my parents' house, and my mother is still cleaning glitter out of the couch, but I was enamored.

I started out as a history major, but, as much as I love the past, I couldn't see where I was going with it in the future. I'm not the teacher type, so that was out of the question, and I couldn't see myself under the hot desert sun brushing dust off of some ancient artifact. My theatre classes and extracurricular activities really had me moving and I lived each day for rehearsals. So, I decided to change my major, and I had a great time for those four years of college.

But, alas, out of college, I couldn't find a job in theatre. Many volunteer opportunities, which I took part in with glee, but nothing that actually paid me. For two years I worked two jobs and did theatre on the side. I loved it, but I was exhausted. I had two roommates at the time, too (I guess I did everything in twos at that point in my life...), but eventually one of them decided to go her separate ways. It was amicable, but I don't really remember what happened. Anyway, that gave me the chance to go to CA and try my talent in Hollywood.


So to make a long story short (I didn't really mean to go into my life story, but there you go), I didn't make it. I know, shocking! I only stayed in CA for two years, which may not have been a long time, but I wasn't impressed. Hollywood was not my scene. I was an extra in some shows you may have seen: The West Wing, Monk, CSI, Blades of Glory, Superbad, and I even took some acting classes. But I figured out that I liked theatre, having a real audience. Film is completely different and was not for me.

Back I come to Boston, and after a couple of years of settling into a regular job, I got back into theatre. I was connected to another theatre major from my college (though a few years older) and we joined forces and created Theatre with a Twist, Inc. (www.theatrewithatwist.org - the website is in the process of being updated, so please don't judge) with a couple of other ladies. It's been going for about a year and a half now, and after much stress, I've stepped down as a partner and am on the board, but it's still a fun and definite part of my life.


We are currently working on a murder mystery dinner fundraiser, in which we the board are performing, and we'd love if you're in the area if you want to come check it out! Yes, this is a shameless plug, but it's also an explanation for future posts where I may veer away from ancient Egypt and discuss theatre. What can I say, I'm a real Renaissance girl...

3 comments:

  1. Great job! Keep up the good work. Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'd definitely say you're a "Renaissance Girl." : D I'm glad Blogger republished your post original post. I'm still waiting. : |

    ReplyDelete