Tuesday, June 14, 2011

deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum

One of the places I've always wanted to visit here in this area is the deCordova Museum. My parents were recently down for the weekend, and we spent one of the afternoons in Concord learning about Ralph Waldo Emerson, Henry David Thoreau (prononced "thorough", by the way...), Louisa May Alcott, and the Minutemen, and the second afternoon at deCordova. I guess you could say it was another learning experience.

We probably should have known, though. We're more Renaissance, Impressionist people; we don't really have much to say about modern or abstract art. Once at the MFA, I saw a painting in which the top half was red and the bottom half was white. I don't remember the name of the piece, but all I could think was I could do that painting with my toes, and this guy's going to get money for it? My family and I know it's all about concept and emotions, but where's the talent?

We entered the sculpture park already half aware of what we're about to see. It helped that the first thing we saw was a huge, bright red figure emerging from the ground.


What do you get from that? What is your emotion that is evoked when you see this? For us, we were more skeptical. It's a red man rising from the grass. Seriously, we did try to be open-minded and actually enjoyed some of the art work. But what really got us going was when something was completely different than what it was titled. For example, this is called "Sunflowers":


And this one is "Sisters":


But, as I said before, some of the artwork was actually quite nice. We had a great time with "Musical Fence": 


We told our troubles to the "Listening Stone":


And I personally rather liked "Pegasus":


We also went inside to the Museum where we not only saw a sculpture made out of cow intestines (ew), we also viewed some pieces made of snow (they were actually photographs from sculptures made in the winter) which were actually very cool (ha ha, no pun intended...really, I wrote that and didn't realize what I said until I reread it...).

It was quite the experience. There was definitely something for everyone. We did pass a few people on the paths who were taking everything so seriously and actually searching for the meaning in each sculpture. My family and I were a lot more lighthearted about it, not making fun per se, but certainly coming up with much more amusing meanings than I'm sure the artist intended. But, hey, that was the concept and the emotion that was evoked, so it's still art, right?

1 comment:

  1. Do you know that I've driven by there a million times and have just taken for granted that "one" day I'd go. Interesting exhibits. What kind of winged creature is that? ... I want to take a Q-Tip to that head. ; )

    ReplyDelete