Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What I Did For My Summer Vacation

Am I the only one who misses going to school? It's August, and so the end of summer is nigh, and I have fond (yes, fond!) memories of back-to-school shopping, not only for new clothes, but also for supplies. I even loved the first day of school, wearing my new clothes and seeing people I haven't seen for three months.I know, crazy, right?

So all these thoughts put me in the mind-set of "What I did over the summer". Now, I know that as a "grown-up" I don't have three months off like I used to. And, if I can go off on a tangent for a second, why don't we have three months off? We're conditioned as we grow up to get summers off, and now we're all stuck behind desks looking longingly at the sun shining through our dusty windows...But, I did have a fun summer and I'm going to share it whether you like it or not.

After my wonderful experience in Prague, 6 long weeks went by, and then I got to see my nephews! I honestly don't know what was better, traveling to a fabulous city in Europe, or playing Uno with Z and A. They currently live on the bottom of the country, so I don't get to see them as often as I'd like. Therefore, every visit from them is an event bigger than the Royal Wedding (in excitement, I mean, not in frills).
 

I am so proud of my Z because he's a fellow history lover like his favorite youngest auntie. The first thing he wanted to while we were here in Boston was visit Paul Revere's house. So we took an historic tour of my favorite American city, not only taking him into the North End to see Revere's digs, but also to Faneuil Hall and the Old Statehouse where the Boston Massacre occurred. I got to show off my knowledge of my city, and Z was overjoyed to be steeped in history (well, as overjoyed as a 10-year-old can be...).

To continue our historical jaunt, the following day we made a trip to Salem, MA, to check out the history of the witch trials. We had a great time going to the Pirate Museum, the Witch Museum, and the Dungeon Museum, where we learned all sorts of tidbits such as Salem was a haven for pirates back in the old days. My other nephew, A (of whom I'm equally proud), was convinced that we could buy him a broom that could fly. He kept picking up brooms in the souvenir shops and asking if that one would work. We told him that if he said "Up" while standing next to it and it didn't jump into his hand, it wasn't a flying broom.



From Salem, we traveled up to Maine, where my parents live, and on to Acadia National Park to go camping for a few days. Yep, I'm a camping girl. Well, as long as there's plumbing and it's in my parents' pop-up...Our theme of history continued as we explored Acadia and learned its story from the time when it used to be under a volcano to when the Rockefellers preserved the land to keep it as a park instead of becoming populated. Z & A both had a great time here, playing in the waters of Sand Beach, climbing to the top of Cadillac Mountain, and taking a carriage ride around the park to see the cobblestone bridges.

Back at the campsite we told ghost stories around a fire and enjoyed s'mores, though A would eat his piece by piece like his grandpa - first the marshmallow, then the chocolate, and then the graham cracker. Z & A taught me how to play four-square (the recess game, not the social media application...), and I can't really say that I was any good at it. I think I was out more times than I actually played...and I wasn't even trying to let my nephews win! It was a fun, happy week.



But, like all good things, the week came to an end and I had to say goodbye to Z & A. And to my sister and brother-in-law, as well.Work beckoned, as much as I was trying to ignore the summons. I left Maine later than I originally planned because I wanted to draw out my time with my family, especially the ones I don't get to see often. I'm one of the few who loves her family and loves spending time with them, and I look forward not only to every weekend that my parents come to visit, but especially to those rare and wonderful times I get to see my sister and her boys.

And that's what I did for my summer vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment