Monday, October 3, 2011

30, Flirty, and Fun

Tomorrow (October 4th), I turn 30. The big 3-0. I will no longer be in my 20's and will cross over the threshold into 30. When filling out surveys, I'll now choose the box for 30-40. 1981 was 30 years ago. I think you guys get the picture.

For about 11 months of my year as a 29-year-old, I was ok with turning 30. It's just another number, right? Just another year to mark off in the span of my lifetime. Who cares, right? Well, for the last month, apparently, I do. Once September hit, that's when I started questioning my life and having minor breakdowns about the big day. I'll be 30, and I'm stuck in a dead-end job and currently single. Not exactly where I expected to be at this point in my life.

When I was younger, I would think of 30 and have no doubts that I would have a great career (in waitressing, of course - when I was a kid I wanted to be a waitress. Go figure.) and a husband and at least 2 kids and possibly even a dog. I'd live in a house in a nice neighborhood with a backyard, and do all those things that people do when they have families and jobs.

As I got older, the family idea kind of sat in the background as I tried to decide which career path to follow. I went from journalist to history major and finally to Hollywood actress. I still enjoy writing and learning history, but acting/theatre has become a true passion and that's what I decided to focus on. As you can probably figure out, the Hollywood thing didn't exactly come to pass, but I am still working in theatre in my spare time and that is still what I love to do.

But I guess my point is that 30 is a big step. 20's are when you flounder and fail and make mistakes, but by 30, you have everything all figured out. (Ha!) So the fact that my job sucks and there are no careers in theatre and I'm single kind of bothers me.

You know what, though. 30's is the beginning of a whole new chapter. It is ripe with possibilities and I have decided that it's going to be a decade of new opportunities. I am going to have fun with 30 and not let it get me down. The mistakes I made in my 20's are experiences that I can learn from to make my 30's more fulfilling. I am going to wake up tomorrow and face 30 with open arms and let it lead me to a brand new outlook on life.

Blah, blah, blah. We'll see how long that lasts...but I will try!

No comments:

Post a Comment