Thursday, November 10, 2011

Someone Knows My Name

by Lawrence Hill





I actually finished this book a few weeks ago and just haven't gotten around to writing my review. Amazing work of literature. It's the heart-breaking tale of the slave trade from a girl kidnapped from her own family and forced onto a slave vessel, and her journey from being a possession to becoming a free woman.

Aminata Diallo is a beautifully written character with one goal. To return to Africa where she believes she belongs. She is strong, independent, and has a huge heart, despite the horrible things that happen to her. Her story caught me from the very first page and it was hard to let go. Her way of speaking was poetic and musical, it was quite an experience to read.

This story makes me a bit embarrassed to be a white person. I can't ever begin to imagine what it was like for Africans being forced out of their homeland and tortured and treated like animals because white people are too cheap and lazy to do things for themselves. As a history lover, it's hard to look at this section of American history and not be ashamed. These are people with feelings and a culture and should be respected and honored as such.

Aminata's journey to freedom is emotionally wrenching and an amazing feat of strength. I recommend this book to absolutely everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment